The Singing Circle, Italy.
Updated: Apr 26, 2019
Submission by Laura Saviori
Fondazione Istituto Morcelliano
CFP G. ZANARDELLI U.O. DI CHIARI
Duration: 1 hour
Team building, confidence, attention span are some of the most difficult aims for a teacher, specially if the students are teenagers.
Usually teenagers fear their classmates judgement and refused to express their ideas or to aswer teacher's questions.
The Singing Circle is a little funny exercize who helps the teacher to create a relaxed and emphatic atmosphere in the class. It improves confidence, collaboration and listening.
- Let the students make a circle.
- Use an easy funny song with three or four verses.
- Sing the whole song alltogether for twice or three times (teacher and students)
- Split the students up into little groups (three or four people)
- Start to sing the song in different time (1st group starts to sing and when the verse is finishing the 2nd group starts and so on).
- The exercize ends when the last group finishes to sing the last verse.
Every time I used this practice all the students said:
- They enjoyed and felt relaxed;
- they trusted the teacher,
- they were willing to listen to others.
- they were able to cooperate and to work together.
- They have no fear of judgement.